Dogs rescued from fire

editorial image

TWO dogs had to be rescued by firefighters after a small blaze in an upstairs flat.

The fire is believed to have started in a small fan heater at the upstairs Calico flat in Brunshaw Avenue on Thursday.

When firefighters arrived, a labrador ran out of the property and another one was found, also unharmed, in a back room.

Watch manager Tony Spencer said: “Four firefighters entered the flat with breathing apparatus. The fire had spread from the heater to the television cabinet and then to the television.

“At the time we didn’t know there was anybody in until the dog ran out. The tenant was out and both dogs seemed unharmed.”