A fire, believed to have been started deliberately, gutted the front room of a house in Hunslet Street.
The fire service received a call at 5-50pm on Wednesday that people were trapped inside the terraced house, but when they arrived no-one was inside.
Watch manager Steve Harrison said: “This incident was reported to the fire service as a persons reported incident, which means that it is thought that the occupants were possibly trapped inside by the fire.
“Three fire engines are sent to incidents of this type. On arrival, fire crews were met with a developing fire in the front lounge, with smoke and flames clearly seen through the ground floor window and front door.
“Four fire-fighters wearing breathing apparatus entered the property to fight the fire and search for the occupants who were thought to be inside. The fire was rapidly extinguished, using a water jet, and the house was thoroughly searched.
“Fortunately no-one was found to be inside. The front room of the house was severely damaged by the fire, and the remainder suffered serious smoke and heat damage.
“The cause of the fire is thought to be suspicious. Enquiries, alongside the police, are continuing.”