A spate of stone attacks on buses in Burnley could lead to someone being killed, police have warned.
There have been around six attacks on buses in the Manchester Road area at various times of the day over the last 10 days.
Police have now stepped up patrols in the area but so far no-one has been arrested.
Sgt Rodger Crew, of Burnley Police, said: “We believe these attacks are being carried out by children as young as 10.
“It is extremely dangerous as both rocks and stones have been thrown, in some cases smashing windows.
“Luckily, no-one has so far been hurt, but the effect of smashing glass and the potential shock to a driver could cause a traffic accident.
“We have increased patrols in the area, but there has been no pattern to the attacks – they have been at different times of the day.”
The latest attack came at 3pm last Friday when an X43 was pelted with stones, smashing an upstairs window.
Vicky Barlow was travelling on the bus with her children at the time.
She said: “It was terrifying for everyone on the bus. It was just a mindless act, probably by some teenagers not even thinking what impact it could have had.
“It was a near miss for two passengers and the people responsible probably thought it was a ‘laugh’. I hope they get caught before something like that happens again.”
Anyone with information can call police on 472107 or Crimestoppers, in confidence, on 0800 555 111.