Padiham power cut: cable theft suspects suffer burns

editorial image
0
Have your say

SUSPECTED metal thieves caused a huge power cut which hit hundreds of homes in Padiham.

More than 550 homes were plunged into darkness in the early hours of Saturday morning.

Two men suffered burns to their hands and face in the alleged incident at the former Hepworth industrial site.

Local men aged 29 and 41 were taken to the Royal Blackburn Hospital.

Electricity North-West engineers were called to the site in Manchester Road, Hapton, at 5-55am after reports of a power blackout in parts of Padiham.

Officials believed copper wire had been tampered with at the sub-station and police were called in to investigate the incident. Police confirmed no arrests had been made so far.

Electricity North-West said power was back on to homes later on Saturday morning.

A spokesman for Electricity North-West issued a warning.

He said: “The ‘Danger of Death’ sign are there for a reason. It is very serious. It is not worth the risk. It causes a lot of inconvenience to residents in the area who lose power. It is a really big issue and we are working with the police to stamp it out. We have put extra security measure in place including DNA markings and Smartwater. We are asking residents to be vigilant. If they spot anyone acting suspiciously they should contact Electricity North-West and the police immediately.”

An emergency hotline number for the company is 0800 195 4141.