Near miss as wood thrown at Burnley fire crew

editorial image
0
Have your say

BURNLEY’S top fire officer has played down an incident in which a piece of wood was thrown at a fire crew extinguishing a bonfire near the Griffin estate.

Station manager Steve Morgan described the incident at 10pm on Saturday at Griffin Close Park as “isolated” and said attacks on fire crews in Burnley had significantly reduced.

The crew was called out by members of the public who had seen a small group of men in their 20s burning wood on public land.

Station manager Morgan said: “The fire service will always respond to calls from the public and if there any illegal fires on public land we will extinguish them.

“Unfortunately, our fire crew was met with some verbal abuse by this group of men and a piece of wood was thrown which missed. Nobody was hurt.

“It is true that last year there were some incidents in this area where objects were thrown at crews. However, from last September we have done a lot of engagement in that community including speaking to local children.

“This has been a great success. It was an isolated incident on Saturday and I don’t believe it will be repeated.”

Police were contacted at the time of the incident and are investigating.