TWO men have pleaded guilty to the manslaughter of Paul Brady following his disappearance in Bacup in 2009.
Daniel Jones (28) of HMP Forrest Bank, and Michael Dunphy (38) of no fixed address, also pleaded guilty to conspiracy to kidnap
Both men were originally charged with murder, but pleaded guilty to manslaughter on the fourth day of their trial at Preston Crown Court and these pleas were accepted.
They will both be sentenced on November 11th.
Burnley man Paul Devalda (35) of Padiham Road, was found guilty of murder and conspiracy to kidnap following a nine week trial at Liverpool Crown Court back in March. He was sentenced to life in prison and told he must serve a minimum of 21 years for murder before he will be considered for parole.
Paul Brady (44) of Rochdale was kidnapped from the Beaufort Road area of Weir, Bacup, on Saturday August 1st 2009.
Mr Brady had been surrounded by 10 to 15 people near the housing development site. The gang all wore black ski masks, with eye and mouth holes, black hooded tops and trousers.
At the start the trial last week, Mr Richard Marks QC (prosecuting) said the vehicle used to take Mr Brady away could be connected to Paul Devalda, as well as another man and the two defendants on trial.
Mr Marks also said there was inter locking evidence to connect Dunphy and Jones with Paul Devalda and the events in the Bacup area.
Despite a major police investigation with extensive enquiries and numerous searches to find Mr Brady, his body has never been found and detectives believe he was killed and his body disposed of following his kidnap.
Dunphy was arrested with Devalda in London, attempting to take flight and leave the country on August 9th 2009. Dunphy was interviewed and later released on police bail but failed to answer his bail and left the country. A warrant for his arrest was issued.
On April 4th this year, an intelligence led operation resulted in Dunphy’s arrest when he was stopped by police while driving a car in Greater Manchester.
At the time of the offence Jones lived at a cottage in Waterfoot and was identified as a suspect as a result of enquires.
Det. Supt Neil Hunter from the Force Major Investigation said: “The volume of evidence against Dunphy and Jones influenced their decision in pleading guilty and it was not through compassion or feeling towards the family of Paul Brady.
“If they had any compassion towards Paul’s family I would like to think they would tell us where his remains are but I doubt they ever will.
“The family would like some closure and be able to lay Paul to rest with dignity and they won’t be able to do that until he has been found.”