Health and safety prosecutions after death of policeman (32)

Ian Terry
Ian Terry

GREATER Manchester Police and two of its officers are to be prosecuted four years after the death of Burnley policeman Ian Terry.

The father-of-two was shot dead during a firearms training exercise in 2008 and now the Health and Safety Executive has announced it will prosecute over alleged breaches.

However, the Crown Prosecution Service said on Tuesday there was still insufficient evidence to bring criminal charges against the force in relation to PC Terry’s death.

PC Terry (32) had been playing the role of a fleeing criminal when the tragic incident unfolded at a disused Manchester warehouse.

Assistant Chief Constable of GMP Garry Shewan said: “The HSE has announced that it is to prosecute Greater Manchester police and two of our officers for breaching section two and section seven of the Health and Safety Act.

“Once again I would like to extend our deepest apologies to Ian’s family for the loss of their much loved son, father and husband.”

An inquest held at Manchester Coroner’s Court in March 2010 found that PC Terry was unlawfully killed.

The jury ruled there was a catalogue of failures not only by the officer who shot PC Terry but also in the planning, training and safety measures.

Terry, who was not wearing body armour, was hit by a blank round of a round irritant personnel, which is not designed to kill but can be deadly at close range.

PC Terry, a former Barden High School pupil, lived in Red Spar Road with wife Joanne who said yesterday she was very disappointed that criminal charges were not being brought.