Girl (14) ill after taking illegal high

A 14-year-old girl fell ill after a taking a substance called Vertex. (S)
A 14-year-old girl fell ill after a taking a substance called Vertex. (S)

Police are asking the public to report distributors and under-18 users of “legal highs” after a 14-year-old girl fell ill in Barnoldswick.

The girl became unwell on Saturday, April 18th after taking a substance labelled Vertex.

Police say the substance which is in black packaging looks like herbal cannabis or green leaf material and smells very sweet.

The packaging lists a host of poisonous ingredients, is clearly marked not fit for human consumption and is a research chemical for lab reagent use only.

Police are concerned more people will take similar substances. The 14-year-old has made a full recovery.

PC Nigel Keates, of Colne and West Craven Police, said: “The police prefer to call them uncontrolled highs.

“On this occasion, thankfully, the young girl has made a full recovery and the source of the substance has been dealt with.

“Assemblies have been arranged in the local high school to warn young people of the dangers should they decide to use similar substances.

“If you have any information about uncontrolled highs, who may be supplying them, or the people using them (under 18), then please contact your local Neighbourhood Policing Team by telephoning 101.”