‘Burnley worst area for arsons and bad tenants’: landlord

GUTTED: The fire damged house in Waterbarn Street BX-16-11-11/1

GUTTED: The fire damged house in Waterbarn Street BX-16-11-11/1

0
Have your say

A NATIONAL landlord has hit out at Burnley people after one of his houses was deliberately torched.

Mr Mark Taylor of Taylor Housing, whose slogan is “Decent Homes for Decent People”, rang the Express to voice his disgust after a terraced property he lets out in Waterbarn Street, Duke Bar, was severely damaged by fire on Tuesday.

The house was well ablaze with flames coming out of the windows when firefighters arrived at 6 p.m..

But when firefighters were tackling the blaze they were disrupted by a man and had to call police. It is believed the man was trying to get in the house to rescue his dog.

The 44-year-old, believed to be the tenant, had to be PAVA sprayed by officers and was arrested on suspicion of assaulting a police officer and public disorder. There is no suggestion he was responsible for the fire.

Mr Taylor said: “This fire is yet another example of the kind of unacceptable behaviour and type of people we have living in the Burnley area.

“We have houses all over the country but this is the worst area for us in terms of bad behaviour and arsons.

“Luckily, the tenant was out of the house at the time or it could have been a lot worse. This arson shows the complete disregard some people have for human life.

“We are one of the biggest landlords in the area and are doing our best to give people decent homes to live in. The damage to this house is extensive and I am now having to talk to my insurance people to sort it. It’s about time the local authorities got a grip on anti-social behaviour in some parts of Burnley.”

Crew manager Andy Coulston said: “The fire seems to have started in the front room of the house and appears to have been deliberate. Investigations are continuing.

“We used four breathing apparatus, one jet, two hose reels, two lighting units, two positive pressure ventilation units, and one triple extension ladder.”

There was extensive damage to the downstairs of the house and smoke damage upstairs.