Burnley security guards put out blaze

Fire
Fire

Two hospital security guards have been praised by fire crews after they put out a fire at a house in Burnley last night.

The men were doing the rounds at Burnley General Hospital at 11-35pm when they spotted a boarded up window at a house in Ebor Street had been set alight. They used a fire extinguisher from the hospital to put out the flames, which spread to the surrounding window frame.

Fortunately the occupant of the house was not in the property at the time of the fire and when crews from Burnley fire station arrived they found the kitchen was smoked logged.

They used a fan to rid the house of smoke and a hose reel to make sure the fire was fully out.

Acting watch manager Alan Ashworth said: “This incident could have been much worse if it had not been for the actions of the two security guards.

“There were no working smoke alarms inside the property.

“The occupier returned while we were in attendance and we gave fire safety advice and fitted smoke alarms to the property. “Investigations with police and fire service are ongoing.”