Chip pan fire hits Burnley home

editorial image

Firefighters tackled a chip pan fire at a Burnley house in the early hours of this morning.

The pan caught fire in the kitchen of the Arkwright Street property at 4-30am as the occupants were frying chips.

When fire crews arrived one of the occupants had managed to smother the flames with curtains and blankets.

Firefighters made sure the blaze was completely out and helped clear the kitchen which had been smoke logged.

A spokesman for Lancashire Fire and Rescue Service said: “The occupiers had been trying to cook chips.

“It could have been a lot worse if they had fallen asleep or gone to bed. We advise against cooking under the influence of alcohol.”