Chip pan blaze hits Burnley flat

Fire
Fire

A blaze was sparked by a chip pan left unattended in a Burnley flat.

The fire broke out after the occupant left the Marles Court property with food still cooking on the hob on Sunday.

But on return smoke alarms were sounding and smoke could be seen billowing from a first floor window.

Fire crews were called in at 19-39pm and used breathing apparatus to locate and extinguish the fire.

A ventilation unit was then used to remove smoke from the first floor flat.

Acting watch manager Dave Robinson, of Burnley Fire Station, said: “Please do not leave cooking unattended and ensure you have fitted and working smoke alarms.

“Smoke alarms save lives, You are more than twice as likely to die in a fire at home if you haven’t got one. A smoke alarm is the easiest way to alert you to the danger of fire, giving you and your family precious time to escape.”