DCSIMG

Child treated for smoke inhalation after ‘suspicious’ Burnley blaze

editorial image

editorial image

 

A child suffered smoke inhalation after a blaze ripped through a neighbouring house.

The six-year-old girl had to be put on oxygen and taken to hospital after the fire in Raglan Road in the early hours of Boxing Day morning.

The blaze broke out in a terraced property next door around 2-50am and is being treated as “suspicious” by police.

When fire crews arrived they were met by a rapidly developing fire with flames and smoke coming through the downstairs living room window of the house.

Watch manager Steve Harrison, of Burnley Fire Station, said: “Four firefighters wearing breathing apparatus made an entry and took with them a hosereel jet and thermal image cameras to assist in their search.

“A ventilation fan was used to assist in controlling the fire. The fire was brought under control relatively quickly, and the property was rapidly searched.

“No persons were found within the property.”

The living room of the house was very severely damaged by the fire and the rest of the property was badly damaged by smoke.

Smoke from the fire affected several properties on the street and one child was treated at the scene for the effects of smoke inhalation.

The cause of the fire is suspicious and a joint investigation is underway with the police.

Watch manager Harrison added: “Not all of the adjacent properties had smoke alarms fitted. “Smoke alarms save lives. You are more than twice as likely to die in a fire at home if you haven’t got one. A smoke alarm is the easiest way to alert you to the danger of fire, giving you and your family precious time to escape.”

 

Comments

 
 

Back to the top of the page