Championship dispute hits TV’s Pie Court

Barry Rigby and Tony Callaghan
Barry Rigby and Tony Callaghan

A bitter dispute over the outcome of the 2014 World Pie-Eating contest will be thrashed out on TV today.

Barry Rigby has taken Championship organiser Tony Callaghan on to ITV’s Judge Rinder after he was not handed the title.

The row started when the 2014 event was declared null and void after extra-large pies, meant for a nearby divorce party, were accidentally delivered to the competition.

Things are set to get tasty when the pair settle their none-too-serious spat on the daytime law show Judge Rinder which will be aired today (Monday) at 2pm.

Barry insists the bizarre mix-up cost him the coveted trophy and the associated prizes that go hand in hand with victory.

The 42-year-old from Hindley lodged a complaint, but when he didn’t get the redress he sought, he instead headed on an unusual and very public route to justice.

Judge Rinder, real life criminal barrister Robert Rinder, will now rule on whether Barry should be officially crowned as the world’s top pie chomper or if his claims should take the pie road!

The quarrel all started when Tony asked his chef at the Raven to specially make the pastry delicacies but in a bizarre mix-up, they were sent to a divorce party at another of his pubs while the ones delivered to the competition entrants were much bigger and far more difficult to wolf down.

Speaking last month about the TV show, Barry said: “They approached me and I thought why not,” said Barry, who also won the title in 2009.

“I was a little bit upset not to be declared the winner as it was a fair contest.

“Tony gave his defence about the pies being wrong.

“It’s all fun and games but I did want to sort it.”