DCSIMG

Couple’s compensation after holiday “nightmare”

stehthoscope

stehthoscope

A Burnley couple who should have enjoyed a dream holiday to celebrate their silver wedding anniversary instead endured a “nightmare” of food poisoning.

Darren and Tracy Finch, of Whitpark Grove, spoke to the Express about their ordeal in the Egyptian resort of Sharm El Sheikh for which they have now received £5,100 in compensation.

Football coach Darren (49) lost two stones in weight and was ill for weeks with crippling stomach problems while teaching assistant Tracy (46) was also affected.

They had travelled to The Nubian Village hotel, provided by First Choice, last May but spent the entire fortnight with sickness and stomach cramps.

Mr Finch said: “What should have been a wonderful holiday to celebrate our anniversary was a nightmare from the first day.

“There was so much building work going on around the hotel and the swimming pool was filthy. The food they served was really poor and it ruined our holiday.

“I am better physically but I still have terrible memories, and my wife has flashbacks. It was horrendous.”

The food poisoning suffered was suspected to be a result of the lukewarm food which the couple said was served to guests at the hotel.

On returning to the UK, the couple contacted Your Holiday Claims, a division of Farnworth Rose in Nelson, to pursue compensation.

Anne Thomson, travel law expert at Your Holiday Claims, said: “It is never acceptable for a couple to have to suffer from food poisoning on holiday.

“Tour operators and hotel management have a duty of care to ensure that hygiene is always of the highest standards.

“We would hope that the processes in place to maintain these standards at the Nubian Village in Sharm El Sheikh are promptly reviewed in order to avoid similar holiday illness.”

 

Comments

 
 

Back to the top of the page

 

X scottish independence image

Keep up-to-date with all the latest Referendum news