Burnley mum tackles grill blaze

editorial image

A MOTHER who tackled a grill fire at her Burnley home has been praised by firefighters.

The quick-thinking woman, who was in her forties, found the grill pan had caught fire and covered it in a damp tea towel at her Creswick Avenue home.

She then rang 999 before escaping the property with her 16-year-old daughter at around 8-30 a.m. this morning.

Fire crews spent 15 minutes ensuring the oven was safe and the kitchen received minor smoke damage.

Watch manager Steve Harrison, of Burnley Fire Station, said: “The grill pan had been left unattended and there was too much oil in it so it set fire.

“We don’t normally advise people to tackle fires themselves but they did all the right things. They put a damp tea towel over it and then left the house and called us in

“She sorted it out by doing that and it was pretty much out.”

He advised homeowners to ensure that all excess oil under the grill is regularly cleaned and not to leave cooking food unattended.