Burnley MP steps in to save Worsthorne bus service

Burnley Bus Station. G160212/2b
Burnley Bus Station. G160212/2b

A rural Burnley bus service on the verge of being axed has been saved.

A county council cost-cutting exercise meant the daytime bus service to Worsthorne was facing its last stop later this month.

The decision sparked outrage among the village and led to more than 100 residents attending a public meeting where they voiced their opposition to the plans.

Burnley MP Gordon Birtwistle met with Transdev representatives after the meeting and following more discussions, Lancashire County Council has now said the number 2 bus service will continue.

“I have now met with representatives from TransDev who in turn have had discussions with Lancashire County Council about the bus service from Pike Hill to Worsthorne,” said Mr Birtwistle.

“I can therefore now confirm that the service will continue in its existing format which I think is excellent news for people in the village.

“I’d like to thank County Coun. Margaret Brindle for her work on this issue as well as the numerous local people who lobbied Transdev and Lancashire County Council over this issue.”

At the meeting many residents said they were angry that the changes had been introduced at very short notice and that little or no consultation had taken place.

A number of bus users said they were devastated by the proposals as they relied on public transport to shop in Burnley while many also stated that the move would have a negative impact on town centre shops.

Miss Susan Grice, secretary of Worsthorne Social Club, said: “It’s excellent news. Everybody is absolutely ecstatic about it. We couldn’t have asked for a better outcome really.

“Whether it is because we got all the people together, whether it was because Gordon Birtwistle got involved or whether it was just a total fluke, we honestly just don’t care.

“We knew we only had a couple of weeks or so before the buses were stopped but we did not expect anything to get resolved this quickly. It’s great news and the village could not be happier.”

County Coun. John Fillis, Cabinet member for highways and transport, said: “We’re pleased that Transdev Burnley and Pendle have decided to continue the running of the number 2 bus service to Worsthorne.

“This is superb news for the local community as it means they will still be able to travel to Burnley and Nelson by bus during the day.

“I would like to thank members of the local community for their quick response in expressing their concerns, and to Transdev for listening to them.”

More details will be available at a meeting planned for 7pm on Thursday at Worsthorne Social Club.