Burnley man’s agony as arm operation cancelled twice

Tony Bruce who has had his operation at the Royal Blackburn Hospital cancelled (s)
Tony Bruce who has had his operation at the Royal Blackburn Hospital cancelled (s)

A man who broke his arm in seven places in a horror bicycle crash said he is still waiting for an operation three weeks later after it was cancelled twice.

Mr Tony Bruce (39), of Leven Street, said he has been in agony since the accident, in Lyndhurst Road, which left the bone piercing the skin on his arm.

He had his arm plastered but surgery scheduled for three days after the accident was cancelled. Another appointment was made for him on Tuesday this week.

He said he was told to be at the Royal Blackburn Hospital for 8-30am but received a phone call just 20 minutes earlier to say it had once again been called off.

Mr Bruce had been riding his bike to get some shopping on Saturday, July 13th, when a pedestrian walked into the road. He slammed on his brakes to avoid hitting them but was thrown over the handle bars and knocked unconscious, breaking his left arm in the process.

In a cruel twist, when he regained consciousness he also realised his bike had been stolen.

He has been told by surgeons he needs to have metal plate inserted into his arm but he said he fears the bone may now have set in the wrong place and his arm may have to be broken again before it can be treated.

Mr Bruce, a steel erector, has also been to appointments at Burnley General Hospital but said his arm desperately needs operating on.

“I think it’s an absolute disgrace, a dog breaks its leg and it gets treated straight away but my operation keeps being cancelled.

“It’s stressful enough going for an operation. I’ve been in agony since it happened.

“I’m worried my arm is going to be deformed.”

He said he is also losing money because he is unable to work and fears his condition will worsen the longer he goes without having the operation.

“The first time I was due to have the operation, I was waiting there for seven hours and then they cancelled it.

“They kept telling me I’d be going down to theatre in five minutes but instead I got sent home.

“All this waiting might ruin my arm for life.”

Val Bertenshaw, director of operations at East Lancashire Hospitals NHS Trust, said: “Mr Bruce is due to meet the orthopaedic consultant responsible for his care on Thursday August 1st, to discuss and agree the on-going treatment and clinical management of his arm.”