Burnley house “inferno” pair saved by neighbours

Heap Street Fire Burnley
Heap Street Fire Burnley

NEIGHBOURS rescued two people from an “inferno” at a Burnley house last night.

The blaze broke out at the terraced property in Heap Street at around 8-30 p.m.

A woman was spotted hanging from a window of the burning house and a man was trapped inside.

The woman, who was in her 20s was rescued through the window, and neighbours kicked the front door down to save the man who had been overcome by smoke.

Paramedics were first on the scene and the pair were taken to the Royal Blackburn Hospital for smoke inhalation. They were kept in for observation.

Watch manager Neil Ashworth, of Burnley Fire Station, refused to rule out arson and said the blaze was under investigation.

The front room of the property was completely destroyed by fire.