A chimney blaze at a house in Brierfield sent clouds of smoke into the sky which could be seen for miles.
Fire-fighters were called to the incident in Hardy Street in Victoria Gardens, Brierfield, at 3-20pm.
A large amount of smoke could be seen on the street and also coming from the chimney stack and roof
slates of a terraced property.
It was initially thought the roof was on fire nut, on further inspection, fire-fighters found the chimney was in poor condition, and smoke had been entering the rooms of the house.
The fire crews used hose reels and thermal imaging cameras to extinguish the fire.
Crew Manager Lee Garnett said: “As the winter months approach, please ensure all wood burners and open fires are fully inspected by a qualified person prior to use. Poorly maintained chimneys could lead to house fires.”