Boy treated after Burnley bedroom fire

GUTTED: The fire-damaged bedroom at the house in Rectory Road, Stoneyholme.

GUTTED: The fire-damaged bedroom at the house in Rectory Road, Stoneyholme.

0
Have your say

A NINE-year-old boy was treated for smoke inhalation after a fire started in his bedroom.

The fire in the upstairs back bedroom started at 9-45 a.m. on Monday at the house in Rectory Road, Stoneyholme, where a cat also had to be rescued.

A family of six had left the house before two fire crews arrived.

Watch manager Pete Ashworth said: “We sent two engines to the house but luckily the family were outside when we arrived.

“It appears the fire started in the boy’s bedroom, next to a television. We are unsure how it started but it appears to be accidental.

“We gave the nine-year-old boy some oxygen but everyone else was fine. Firefighters using breathing apparatus also found a cat under some covers in an upstairs room.”

The family, which included four children under 10 and an 18-year-old girl, declined hospital treatment. The contents of the bedroom were destroyed by the fire and the first floor was smoke-logged.