A MAN was forced to flee his home early this morning after it became filled with smoke during a fire.
Firefighters were called to Sharif’s Takeaway in Hurtley Street around 3-45 a.m. where a commercial wheelie bin had been set alight.
Flames spread to the roof of a storage room causing smoke to billow into the first-floor flat where the man, thought to be in his mid-thirties, was asleep.
He managed to get out of the building before fire crews arrived but watch manager Tony Spencer said the incident could have been much more serious.
Crews spent 45 minutes putting out the flames.