A BURNLEY takeaway owner is lucky to be alive after yobs poured petrol over his counter and set it alight.
Fire crews were called to the Chicken Hut at 10-45pm last night and spent an hour getting the blaze under control.
The owner was in the back of the shop with a friend when he noticed the front was ablaze.
He realised the fire was too big to tackle and immediately called the fire service.
Watch manager Neil Ashworth said: “It was well alight when we got there. We quickly established that nobody was inside and so we began extinguishing the fire straight away.
“We were there for three hours in total carrying out an investigation. The owner told us he had been getting abuse from youngsters all night and was in the back because he had been distracted.”
Police and the fire service will carry out a joint investigation today.