Housing provider Calico Homes has announced plans to build a number of homes in Harle Syke – on the site of a historic mill destroyed by a huge fire in 2005.
The £6m. development on the Primrose Mill site, off Harrison Street, will consist of 48 two and three bedroom houses and bungalows, and 12 sheltered flats if planning permission is granted.
The mill, built as a cotton weaving shed in 1906, was destroyed by a huge fire in July, 2005, when it was occupied by bedding company Sweet Dreams.
The properties will be available for a mix of tenures, including sale and rent, and will meet specific local housing needs, according to Calico.
Work on the site, which would be carried out by Ring Stones Maintenance and Construction, will start later this year, pending planning approval.
A number of local construction jobs are expected be created as a result of the development.
But the plan must first gain permission from Burnley Borough Council, whose members will look at the site’s proximity to the listed Queen Street Mill and the local conservation area.
Calico held an open day at the Community Centre, Jubilee Street, this week to provide residents with a chance to find out more about the project proposals and to share their views.
Ed Barber, of Calico, said: “We’re delighted to announce this important investment in the area.
“The development will have a positive impact on the area, will provide essential affordable housing for local people, and will create a number of new jobs in the community.
“We’re looking forward to engaging local residents in the development process. It’s very important that they are involved and are able to influence crucial decisions that will affect them.”
People who are interested in these properties should email Claire Morris at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 0800 169 2407 or 01282 686300.
Primrose Mill was built in 1906 by Mr William West and his business partners. It was operated on the “room and power” principle by which Mr West owneed the walls and engine but leased out the loom space to other companies.
It closed as a weaving operation in the 1970s but was used by other companies after that date, and latterly by Sweet Dreams until the devastating fire in 2005.